Fall Leaf & Yard Waste Collection - This event has already occurred
Upcoming Dates:Friday, November 17, 2023 6:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fall leaf and yard waste collection is this week. Items will be collected on your regular collection day. Please refer to the below for additional handling information.
Residents of the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley are reminded how to handle the excess amount of yard waste and branches they may have this time of year.
Leaf & yard waste
- Leaf and yard waste will only be collected on your regular collection day during designated weeks. It is collected separately from other materials.
- Residents of Petawawa and Laurentian Valley – Weeks of October 16, October 30, November 13
- Residents of Pembroke – Weeks of October 16, November 6, November 20
- Leaf and yard waste includes leaves, garden plants, grass clippings and hedge trimmings.
- Leaf and yard waste must be placed at the curb in reusable containers (lids off), cardboard boxes or paper leaf and yard waste bags.
- Leaf and yard waste in plastic bags (including plastic bags claiming to be biodegradable or compostable) will not be collected.
- Individual bag/container must not exceed 50 lbs (23kgs).
- Bundled branches will be collected with leaf and yard waste on the dates listed above.
- Individual branches must be no more than 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter or 4 feet (1.2 m) in length.
- Bundled branches must be no more than 2 feet (0.6 m) in diameter.
- Bundles must not exceed 50 lbs (23kgs).
- Bundle branches with twine or other biodegradable string (no plastic or metal).
- Green carts will be collected on green cart collection days only.
- When placing small, loose branches in your green cart, the lid must be closed. Carts that contain branches that prevent the lid from closing will not be collected.
- Do not place bundled branches in your green cart as it causes processing issues at the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre (OVWRC).
Drop-off at OVWRC
- Leaves and grass clippings (loose or in paper bags) can be dropped off at the OVWRC for no charge.
- Branches of all sizes, tree limbs and stumps will be directed to the Construction & Demolition site at the OVWRC and tipping fees will apply
- Wood chips and sawdust will be directed to the Landfill site at OVWRC and tipping fees will apply.
Once leaf and yard waste is collected, it is brought to the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre for composting. Leaf and yard waste is composted separately from regular green cart material.
Mark Behm, Public Works Manager, explains why it is important that only acceptable material is set-out for leaf and yard waste collection. “When residents place items like garden hoses, ropes or plastic bags in the leaf and yard waste it can cause significant operational problems at the Waste Recovery Centre. Material can wrap around processing equipment causing delays and breakdowns.”
Chris Mantha, Director of Public Works, Town of Petawawa, 613-687-5536
Brian Lewis, Director of Operations, City of Pembroke, 613-735-6821, ext. 1410
Mark Behm, Public Works Manager, Township of Laurentian Valley, 613-735-6291
Feature Image:Fall leaf and waste collection 2023.png
Where urban amenities meet outdoor rural fun.
LV is home to easy comfortable living.